Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Leadership Skills

Leadership produces change and movement, while management produces order and consistency. Based on your Skills Inventory results, what are some action steps you would like to make to strengthen your strongest two areas as both a leader and a manager?

I think that even though I had strong human and technical skills, they can still be improved upon through my actions. I believe that I can improve my technical skills through becoming more confident and competent in my actions and by being able to meet the different goals I set for myself. I think that my technical skills are something that can be developed because I am a perfectionist at times and I tend to work very hard on things. I think as a leader I need to remind myself of this, because when working with others I can not set the same standards for others as I would for myself, because sometimes I do set unrealistically high standards.

With human skills, I definitely think that I am good at working with people. I focus more on working with others in a group setting to accomplish a goal, than on my own. I feel that this has shaped who I am today, because I enjoy working in groups and getting others opinions on what should be done. I also work to shape my ideas and work to create an idea that is agreed upon by everyone in the group.

As a leader, I am working to expand upon my conceptual skills. Although I like to think that I can always see the bigger picture, this is not always the case. Sometimes I let myself get caught up into something small and try to perfect that, instead of looking and what the final product is and how I am going to get there. I think that conceptual skills, for me, will be the hardest to develop because of my personality and experiences. I feel that I need to work harder to strategically plan and where I should be going.

No comments:

Post a Comment