This week, I knew I had two different events I would have to use situational leadership for. First, I had a mandatory floor meeting. For this meeting we were working on recontracting. For this, I had to be high directive and low supportive. For this meeting, I explained what they needed to do, and they did it. I did not have to walk them through step by step and they did what they had to do. I spent more time focusing on the goal, which was them filling out the contracts, less time focusing on what they were doing.
In another situation, I had to work on being more supportive with one of my residents. I had a resident who was struggling with a personal problem, and most people were treating her in more of the "coaching" stage. They were being extremely supportive, however they were also being highly directive. These people were telling her what choices she should make and what to do. This is not what this resident wanted to hear. This resident just wanted support and someone to listen. I was in the supporting role by listening to her and letting her make her own decisions.
I think overall, both approached were successful. Depending on the situation, I adjusted how I acted in the moment. Depending on what people needed from me, I acted appropriately. I think overall, the mandatory meeting was succesful, because everything got done quickly and efficiently. The other situation with my resident also was successful, because I was the first person to actually sit down and listen to her, without being directive. I think that working on evaluting the situation and how I should respond will be beneficial for me in the future as an RA and in my organizations.
No comments:
Post a Comment