Monday, February 20, 2012

Reflection

By this time you have completed several leadership questionnaires. Taking all of the results combined, what are your greatest leadership strengths/assets. What are your greatest leadership weaknesses. Think about - what are the themes that you are seeing emerge when you look at the larger picture of all of the questionnaries?

I think that there are a lot of things that I have seen emerging through the different questionnaires. First, I know that I am self-confident in my abilities, however there are moments where I second guess myself.

Second, I see that I like to find a balance in whatever skills we are talking about, or that my reaction depends on the situation. For this Skills Inventory I was surprised with my results at first. Then, after thinking about it I realized that I am trying to find the balance between technical skills, human skills, and conceptual skills. Although I am still working to improve upon my conceptual skills, I feel that finding a balance between the three that works for me will be a huge strength in my leadership journey. With the styles questionnaire, I realized that I do have a higher score in relationships than with tasks, but again this definitely depends on the situation. With certain things, I focus mainly on getting the goal done, while in most sitations I focus on the people.
With the situational approach, I learned that it definitely depends on the situation. In certain situations I can act one way, depending on the persons needs, and in other situations I can respond in a completely different way.

I think that overall, my greatest weakness is the fact that I constantly question myself. I look back on situations that I have been through and sometimes wish that I could have responded in a different way. I think that being able to figure out what works for me will benefit me as a leader. I think that being able to focus and find that balance between relationship and task orientation would help me as a leader because I think that I would be more successful at what I am trying to accomplish. I think that although forming these relationships within being an RA and in my organizations can be beneficial, I have to be able to look at the bigger picture (use my conceptual skills) and be able to accomplish whatever task is handed to me. I think that being able to balance these two things has been a weakness to me so far, but is something I hope to improve upon this semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment